Friday, February 28, 2014

Inspiration everywhere

As an aspiring teacher I am always on the lookout for inspiration.  I have the usual places, of course, like books and Pinterest, but I also have a secret source at my disposal.  My kids!

We have a routine we call "highs and lows" that we do each night.  As I'm cuddling with the kids at the end of the day we take turns saying what our high points of the day were, what our low points were, and what we are looking forward to for the next day.  I had intended for it to be a dinnertime conversation starter, but they seem to prefer it being a bedtime routine.  We started it a few months ago and now they like it so much they usually start the conversation each night.  As I was laying with my daughter the other night, after I'd had my kindergarten class all to myself that day, I told her that my low point was that I had trouble getting their attention.  They all chattered and fooled around and I frequently had trouble regrouping them.  She thought for a moment then said, "Well, my teacher does a song," and she taught me a song.  She's in first grade and her ideas are spot on.  Or maybe I should say her teacher's ideas!  She taught me a song she called the "Are we ready?" song.  The next day, another solo day, I taught the kids a new song.  They loved it!   We have a version for sitting in group, preparing for a lesson, and we have another version for standing in line, preparing for the hallway.  We have practiced it a few times over the past few days and the kids are getting better each time.  It doesn't keep their attention forever, they are five years old afterall, but it does help me regroup, get their attention, and get my line straight and quiet.  One step in the right direction!

As a good teacher and learner I think you have to have your eyes, ears, and mind open at all time for new ideas.  Then be willing to give them a shot if they seem reasonable.  I'm thankful I tried this one.  The class also loved knowing that my six year old taught it to me.  I think they love hearing that even teachers are still learning new things every day.    

No comments: