Friday, October 14, 2005

Brief (or not so brief) background

As long as I can remember I always wanted to be a nurse when I grow up. I remember being facinated by the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit), reading all about it, etc. when I was young.

When I hit the college-finding years I somehow ended up in Public Relations. Looking back all I see is a black hole that I went into with NICU on the brain and came out enrolled in a PR degree. I have no idea what happened. PR was an odd choice as I don't really like writing, I'm not trendy or connected, and I definitely didn't fit in with the rest of the PR crowd at Newhouse. (them in little t's and hoochie pants, me in overalls) Halfway through my degree I accepted the fact that I was in the wrong major, but didn't know where to go from there and didn't want to leave the prestigious Newouse.

So, I got my BS in PR (oh, the irony), balked at the starting salaries available to us recent PR grads, and ended up in IT instead. Now, job hunting is my worst fear because they always ask the inevitable "What would you like to be doing in 5 years?" question. And I *never* have a good answer. For this last round of job hunting I settled on "Working at a job I enjoy with people I like working with." Kind of a cop-out, huh? Everytime I'm between jobs I start thinking about going back to school. I start wondering what the hell happened in high school (Did I chicken out at the thought of a medical degree? Didn't think I could handle the stress? What???) and I realize that at some point a person has to have a path in life and not just fall into one job after the other.

Today I'm working at a job that's just fine. I have a big salary and a fancy title, though I'm really just a glorified spammer (shhh!!! don't tell) And every day I think about what a pointless job I have promoting conferences and events that most people don't care about and I never even hear of the outcome. By the time one event takes place, I'm busy promoting the next. I don't know if it's just that time in life, or if being a new parent sparked something in me, but I feel it's time I found a more meaningful job.

All of this is to say I'm seriously looking into going back to school for nursing. I'm not sure if NICU is where I want to be, but I think I'll start in L&D (labor and delivery) and go from there. My experience in L&D with Lex was moving and the more I think about it, the more I think I'd like to be there day to day, helping other women and families have similar experiences.

This post is getting long and it's getting late. I'm terrible at going to sleep when the boy does.

No comments: