Thursday, October 27, 2005

A bit disappointed

An interesting thing about blogging is that you're never quite sure who is going to read it. Some people are comfortable saying whatever about whomever, but I'm always a little more guarded. This thought comes to mind because I'm a bit disappointed with my conversation with the UNH admissions lady I spoke with today. I think I'm going to hold off naming names - wouldn't want them to blacklist me in the admissions office ;)

Anyway, I was excited to talk with someone and figure out how best to enroll for the prereq classes I need (like anatomy and stats), but she was confusing to talk to. I was trying to get a clear view of the schedule and I'm still not sure I get it. Maybe I'm just getting dumb (they say that happens with mommyhood) She was telling me that it's a 2 1/2 year program (which I knew), but then she started talking about courses in the "4th fall semester"?? She also said that in the first two sememsters I would only have to be on campus 2 days a week, but she couldn't tell me if that means I could work the other 3 days or if I'd have to be available for things not on campus. She also said they had a program with DHMC where you can do some of the clinical work there. I asked how people manage that and attend classes in Durham at the same time - she said she didn't know. I'm guessing maybe you can do the clinical stuff 3 days a week maybe? Or maybe there are later sememsters where you don't have to be on campus every day either. She also said she couldn't give me the schedule of classes with dates/times. I know it changes every year, but it would be useful to me to see this years at least - just to get a feel for things.

The most frusterating part though, was the discussion about taking the prereq classes. She made absolutely no effort to sell me on taking them at UNH. I asked her several questions about them and she kept saying, "You'll have to ask the school you're taking them at." I kept saying, "what if I take them at UNH? What would the answer be?" and she had no answers. I also asked what do grad students typically do for health insurance (since I'm too old to be covered by mommy and daddy these days). She said to talk to the school I would be attending. I said "I'm gonna attend UNH, so what do your students typically do?" She had no idea.

Soo... there is another woman there that I would also like to talk to as well. She's actually nurse and instructor there. Hopefully that will go better.

On another note, it just occured to me today that there are actually two hospitals in this area. DHMC is always the first that comes to my mind, but there is in fact another. I'm going to contact the other one (as soon as I find some time) and see if they do shadowing programs as well. Maybe I could do it sooner than the 19th, but even if I can't, it would be interesting to see both and see the similarities and differences between them. Now, to find some free time to do any of this... (actually, now back to work!)

No comments: