Saturday, November 05, 2005

Been awhile

So its been awhile since I've posted here. I'm feeling kind of overwhelmed by the whole thing. I'm basically only looking at two schools, but I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around the various schedules, time frames, prereqs, etc. of each. It doesn't help that I only get sporadic moments here and there to focus on it. Tonight I asked Alan to watch Lex for awhile so I could try and get all of my notes together in once place. I started a spreadsheet to track things (when in doubt, make a spreadsheet ;) ). Sometimes I feel discouraged - like if I can't handle figuring out the process, how the hell will I handle going back to school. I don't remember it being this hard for an undergrad (though I think my mom did a lot of it for me).

Anyway, I guess right now I'm looking at an MSN from UNH or a BSN from SUNY Binghamton (yup, New York). A master's at UNH would have me graduating (earliest) in the spring of 2009. With a BS from SUNY B. I'd be out in spring of 2008. For both I have to figure out how to take 5 prerequisites, several of which are sequential. One option is to take one or two courses per semester at a local or online college, then move to wherever for the actual nursing program. This scares me a bit though, because I already feel very busy between work, life, and Lex, so I'm not confident I could handle taking courses in the evenings as well. Mabye I just need to suck it up and do it. Maybe I'd go insane though. The other option is to try and take as many courses as possible in the semester before the nursing program begins. That way I can keep working up until then, then move to wherever and take classes. The problem with this one is the sequential prereqs.

I find the website for UNH confusing (again, how the hell am I going to handle school??). They keep saying it's a 2 1/2 year program, which includes one summer. I'm guessing it doesn't include the other summer. But to start in January of 07 and graduate in May of 09, that's more than 2.5 years.... I must be missing something. I need a good visual aid :)

I'm going to visit Binghamton over Thanksgiving vacation. My sister (who has already applied there) has a friend in admissions so we're going to (hopefuly) get a private tour. That may be helpful. I may fall back on the family over vacation too to help me understand things :) Between my mom and my sister I'm sure I'll come out a little smarter.

For now, off to feed the boy. He's been awake and happy all day today. He must get tired sometime soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tessa,

Jan 07 to Jan 08 = 1 year
Jan 08 to Jan 09 = 1 year
Jan 09 to May 09 = 1/2 year
(really one semester)
___________
2 1/2 years

Why don't you sign up for one course this January, at your community college. See what that feels like, time, attention, budget, everything. Keep all options open while gathering information. Create a new timeline for decision making- like May 06.
You would still have two semesters open for taking classs before enrolling in Jan 07. Stay peaceful and enjoy the process. It's all going the way it should be ( to fall back on my old Farm wisdom!)
ME