Tuesday, October 18, 2005

No admission

According to the UNH website, I think I'm looking at a Direct Entry MSN. That is, "Applicants with a bachelor’s degree or higher in a field other than nursing may be considered for admission." However, it seems that admission into the direct entry MSN is only in the spring. Why is this? If they have fall admissions for the non-direct entry ("Registered nurses (RNs) who hold a baccalaureate degree in either nursing or another field are considered for admission."), why not for the direct entry as well?

I called the grad school nursing department at UNH yesterday (during lunch, it's hard to make calls when working full-time) to try and figure this out and I got dumped into someone's personal mailbox with a message saying she's out of the office until Wednesday. So back in the office I sent an email to the general email address and got a response back from someone saying I need to speak to a different woman - who is out until next week! I wrote back and said I have some very basic questions (like when is enrollment, can I visit on a weekend, etc) and is there please anyone there who can help me? She says nope, wait for the woman next week.

So this morning, on my way into work, I called the general grad student office (instead of the nursing department). According to them, open enrollment is *only* in the spring and the application deadline is in August - which means I couldn't attend until spring of '07. Blah! I could be halfway through a bachelors by then.

According to the website, "The Direct Entry Master’s in Nursing Program is a two-and-a-half year, 94-credit, full-time course of study. Students are admitted to the Graduate School program as provisional students for the first year of study. Provision will be removed once the RN license is received." Sounds like exactly what I need.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you realize that many masters programs are 36 credits or so? Your program must incorporate a great deal of preparation work that nurses with a bachelors in nursing have already completed. The extra 1/2 year probably explains your January start date. A typical bachelors is only 120 credits, so you are almost doing as many credits as you did undergraduate.
Does that help?
Mema