Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Day Two

Day two at UVEI.  Another great one!

This morning we watched an awesome video on Changing Education Paradigms by Sir Ken Robinson


I've seen this a few times and it's just amazing.  The illustrations, the ideas, the execution.  Just perfect.  I love his point that you can't meet the future by doing what you did in the past.  I think too many times we try to do just that.  It worked before, why isn't it working now?  When our current education system was created, during the Industrial Revolution, it meet the needs of the time just fine.  Students needed to know basic reading and math skills.  The Three R's.  In today's environment though, students need to know so much more, but more importantly, students need to know how to process the complex information available to them (to us all!) and how to find accurate, reliable information.   

This is a great video.  I'd highly recommend you watch it, a few times.

Did you know the rate of ADHD increases as you head east?  Why is that?  One of my classmates said it's because it's colder on the East coast and people tend to stay indoors more.  I disagree.  I don't have an answer, but I don't like that one.  If the map is correct it's primarily the south east.  I wonder if it has to do with economics and education levels? 

No comments: