Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Blog reboot!

I read an article today about student teacher as researcher ("Student Teacher as Researcher: Accepting Greater Responsibility for Learning About Teaching" by J. John Loughran, Australian Journal of Eduction, 2004) that talked about the use of anecdotes.  He says the use of anecdotes helps you take ownership and understanding of a situation, and allows you to frame and reframe your practice.  Sure.  Anyway, that got me thinking about blogging, which reminded me of this old blog that's been kicking around.  I'm a stream of conscienceness kinda gal! 

I like to blog.  It's a great way to capture my thoughts and review them later.  It is tidier than scattered notebooks around the house.  I think I'll dust this thing off, rename it (the nursing career never took off :/ ) and give it another go.

This time I begin my journey in education. 

A quick update since my last post in 2006.  Just a few years have gone by.  I've had another baby.  Had a few jobs.  Have a new house.  A new state.

My youngest started kindergarten last year.  I'm always thinking ahead and had started considering the idea of teaching as a possible career choice.  My wise mother suggested substitute teaching as a first step, so I considered that and discussed with friends and dillied and dallied.  One day last fall the principal at school stopped me on the way out and said he'd heard I was interested in subbing.  I said, "Wellll...." He said, "Please?!"  That was about all it took.  I filled out the paperwork, got myself fingerprinted and background checked, and before I knew it I was subbing.  In PE.  Day one.  Welcome to school!

As the year went on I subbed in every grade, every special, many aide positions, and nearly every single classroom.  I was also working a part-time office job at the time and trying to decide which I preferred.  One chilly morning as I was sitting alone in the office I found myself really wishing I was at school.  Really.  I realized that the days fly by at school and the people make me happy.  Even the challenging ones.  Mostly.  There were a few that made me less than happy, but that's bound to be the case in any career.

So I decided teaching would be my path.  After much consideration and consensus (I like to ask around!) I decided to apply at the Upper Valley Educators Institute.  They offer a one year program that results in a certificate and 24 continuing education credits that can be applied towards a Masters degree if I so decide to take that path in the future.  Their program is fairly unique in that it's like an immersion program with most of your time spent in an actual classroom, not taking classes.

This fall I will be a teacher intern in 5th grade, four days a week there and one day a week at the UVEI for special sessions.  During that time I'll have solo teaching days and one solo teaching week where I will be responsible for designing the lesson plans and running the show.

Next spring I'll be a teacher intern in kindergarten at a different school.  Same schedule except this time I'll have more solo days and two weeks of solo teaching.

I'm feeling really confident about the whole thing so far.  I really appreciate my mom's advice to substitute teach first because I feel like I got a lot of the classroom unknowns out of the way already.  I understand how the days go.  Where things are.  What is expected of students at different grade levels and in different classrooms.  I've stood up in front of a class and "taught" (ie: followed the plan left by the teacher).  I've sent kids to the principal's office, I've dealt with fights, I've shared in the excitement over accomplishments, etc.  This upcoming year I can really focus on learning to teach, instead of just being overwhelmed by the new environment.  I will be great.

My one small point of anxiety is just the unknowns of our family routine.  I'm lining up the logistics and hoping all goes well.  I'm also hoping I won't have the 2-3 hours of homework that the UVEI mentions!  That would be a challenge on top of working all day and parenting all night.

Here's to another mid-life (can't quite call it quarter-life like I did before) career shift.  Hi-tech professional. At-home mom, with many little side jobs. Teacher. Bring it on!

=================================================
=================================================

1 comment:

mema said...

great post...and thank you for sharing with us...and your love...good luck and go get 'em tiger!