Monday, August 19, 2013

First day at UVEI

Today was the first day of UVEI orientation!  It was great!  I'm so jazzed to be surrounded by people, all with varied life histories, all pursuing the same path I am.  It is so motivating!

We did a compass point activity to discuss personality types.  It was interesting to see how many people were in the "Just do it!" crowd. I fell into the South "caring" crowd.  I was torn between that and the West "details" group, but we had to chose just one so I went with South.  We discussed strengths and weaknesses of our own personality type and how it might play into our interactions with others and our teaching styles.  I can see how it takes all types of personalities to successfully run an organization.  You need the go-getters, but you also need the big picture people, and the details people, and the "caring" group which we decided could also be called "moderators" or "peacekeepers."  It takes all kinds. 


I'm not going into a full play-by-play, because really, who needs that?  I'm just going to say that I am so happy to feel so confident on this path.  Towards the end of the afternoon I caught myself spacing out a bit (I tend to do that!) but for the first time in my educational career I caught myself and thought, "Wait, this is important!  I need to know this information!"  I want to know this information!   

On the down side, this week over-laps with my school's in-service week, so I'm bummed to be missing all the classroom setup and staff meetings.  I'll be in school on Friday though, for the final push and a few remaining meetings.  I wish I could be there for everything!  At school and at UVEI and home reading a ton of books... and, of course, paying attention to soon-to-be neglected my family.  /)   

No comments: