Friday, October 18, 2013

In-service

The kids had the day off today, but the teachers had a district in-service day.  The elementary teachers spent the morning learning about Standard 3 in the new math curriculum.  It's all about how students need to be able to verbalize their responses, justify their answers, and defend the process.  They also need to be able to assess their classmates' thinking and recognize validity or faults.  That sounds very challenging to me, though also quite necessary.  I had a student this week turn in a math challenge with nothing but "36" written on the paper.  When I asked how he got that answer he said a classmate told him.  Try again, my friend!  He was not pleased when I told him to go back and show his work.

I'm currently student teaching in one of three elementary schools in our district.  It's the school where my kids attend and therefore the school I was the most familiar with before I started teaching.  Looking around the room this morning at the elementary teacher from around the district, it occurred to me that in January when I switch placements I will be so lost!  I'll be in the same district, but at a different school.  One where I know nobody and have very little experience with.  That will be quite a change from my fall placement!  I'm sure it will be good for me, of course.

After the math presentation we broke up into grade-level groups and built mini-lessons that we could teach across the schools.  Although everyone is working from the same curriculum, it was interesting to hear the differences between the schools.  Some teachers were further ahead, other had gone in a different direction.  I can see how it's valuable to spend time with grade-level teachers and share ideas. 

We also watched this TEDx talk about fixed mindset and growth mindset.  I think this idea is fascinating and makes so much sense.  It's also not intuitive from a parent or teacher standpoint. 
Going forward I'm going to pay closer attention to my interactions with my own children and my students at school, listening for what words I use and how they impact the children's motivation.

No comments: