Tuesday, October 08, 2013

NECAPs

We have been doing NECAPS testing these past few weeks.  Some schools bunch the tests all up into a few days, but at our school we spread them out over a few weeks, taking just one or two a day a couple of days a week.  I like it this way because it's less intense for the students, however it is much more disruptive to the overall schedule.  We end up with nearly three weeks of unusual schedules.  NECAPs are pretty low-key at our schools. I've heard of other districts that make a really big deal of them, holding big assemblies and giving treats and prizes, at our school it's just a morning announcement to encourage those taking the tests and remind those who aren't to be extra quiet in the halls.  

We've been taking the 5th grade out for an extra recess at break and not doing our usual subject rotation, but otherwise no real big deal.  I've been administering the test to a 1-on-1 student who needs a scribe.  It's given me lots of time to study for my upcoming Praxis II exam!  My student feels pretty special about getting his own room and his own space.  He's so chatty and does a lot of pacing, so I'm glad he gets his own space as well. I think it would be very challenging for him to sit still and quiet in the main classroom.  

I like the low-key aspect of testing in our school.  This is the first year my son is taking the standardized tests as well and he is totally calm about it.  No pressure, no stress.  I wish I felt as calm about my Praxis!

No comments: