Thursday, October 03, 2013

Time

Wow, I really thought I'd have more time and energy to maintain a teaching blog.  I love blogging.  Writing is such a great way to process, document, and archive.  Yet, it also takes time.  I find I rarely have my computer on these days (relying instead on my phone and iPad) and when I do I have lesson plans to plan or UVEI homework to write.  I guess that about takes care of my writing time, none left for the blog. Sigh.

Here's a quick update on what's been going on:
  • We did a cool project with iMotion in which the kids made little videos using paper characters to teach writing rules.  
  • We started NECAP testing this week.  I remember it well (standardized testing anyway, not sure if it was the same one) when I was child.  Now I get to do it as a teacher.  Equally boring.  The kids handled it well though.  
  • We are now a month into school and I'm starting to lose track of everything going on.  I need to get myself organized, physically and mentally.  It's amazing how much teachers have to know!  In terms of their subject matter, of course, but also in terms of keeping track of schedules and who has 504/IEPs, who is where, who is doing what at grade level and what needs to be done about it, etc.  There are meetings and observations and just so much to know.  Teachers work hard!
  • I've done one solo day of teaching.  I've also taught a few lessons with my mentor teacher around and I've done some subbing for him.  All are excellent opportunities.  It has been interesting to see how the students respond to him teaching his lessons, versus me teaching his lessons, versus me teaching my lessons.  I clearly have some work to do on my lesson planning skills.  :)  
Overall it's going very well.  I would like to post more, and more often, if only for my own reference in the future.  For now I'll leave you with this interesting article: How Adults are Stealing Ambition from Kids

No comments: