Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Observations

This week I've been observing other classes and other schools. It's part of an assignment for UVEI, but also just a really interesting activity. When it was first mentioned last month I had no interest whatsoever. There was still so much to learn in my own classroom that the idea of going somewhere else just seemed silly. Now, however, two full months into my placement, I'm finding it fascinating to observe other classes.

So far I've seen three classrooms: a 5th and a 3rd at another school in our district, and a 4th at my school. Later in the week I'll be observing a 5th and a 6th at another school in another district. I love seeing the different ways the classrooms are arranged, what's on the walls, what projects the students are working on, what cues the teacher uses to get the students' attention, and so much more. Each teacher I've visited has been so kind and generous in sharing their room and their knowledge. I really love that about my teaching experience so far. I've heard of less than generous teachers, but I have yet to meet any!

Another thing I'm enjoying about this process is meeting and observing teachers who have come highly regarded. I asked teachers I know and respect for advice on who I should observe, so the teachers I'm visiting now are those who are highly respected by those I respect. I like to see if I can find similar teaching styles or other similarities. Some I've found and some I haven't.

So far I have been taking notes along the way and for my UVEI assignment this week I have to make a written reflection on this experience. I haven't even begun that process yet. The writing part, I suppose, the reflecting part is always going on in my head.

So much to learn. What an fascinating experience this has been so far.

No comments: